Thank You to All Who Participated in the West Palm Beach Racial and Ethnic Equality Action Summit!
On Saturday, December 5, 2020 from 10 AM – 2 PM, approximately 200 West Palm Beach residents, business owners and other stakeholders gathered online for the West Palm Beach Racial and Ethnic Equality Action Summit. Of these participants, about 76% were female, 22% male, about 50% were white, 41% black or African American, and 10% Latino. Sixty percent of participants were West Palm Beach residents.
Participants shared their ideas, voted on their priorities, and learned about the history of racial inequity in West Palm Beach and its present-day racial and ethnic disparities. They heard from elders in the community, as well as Mayor Keith James.
In 18 facilitated breakout rooms, and in three separate sessions, participants shared their views on one of the five policy areas that are the focus of the West Palm Beach Mayor’s Task Force on Racial & Ethnic Equality:
- Criminal Justice
- Education & Workforce Development
- Finance, Banking & Business
- Real Estate & Housing
The word cloud above was created from the comments we received from participants (see more comments below).
Miss the Summit? View the video of the summit below. Please note that it doesn’t show one of the highlights of the Summit: the small group conversations in breakout rooms, since we were conducting the Summit via Zoom.
Praise for the Summit
Below are some of the comments we’ve received in response to the Summit:
- OMG!! This is an iconic event!! GREAT JOB WPB!!! What an honor!
- It has been a privilege and tremendous experience. Thank you.
- This Forum was a command performance. Kudos to all.
- I had my 18 year old son sitting next to me and participating.
- Very enlightening and GREAT summit.
- THANK YOU to everyone involved in putting this summit together and thank you for allowing me to be a facilitator. Totally worth my time on Saturday.
- AWESOME SUMMIT….MORE PLEASE!
- Awesome! We are better because of this effort! Grateful!
- Thank you for gathering everyone together to begin this dialogue!
- Great !!!!! Proud to be part of it. We have a lot to do.
- Thank you so much for this summit. I appreciate being invited to participate in the conversation.
Accurate, up to date statistics. Not just ones used to prove their facts.
- I think you did an excellent job. The mixture of slides and discussion were done well. Thank you!
- This was genuinely interactive, which I didn’t know if could be pulled off virtually! Great job!
The outcomes of the Summit are being shared with the five working groups (subcommittees) which are preparing recommendations to give to the Mayor.